March 25, 2009

Quit Talking and Go To Bed

"No worthwhile conversation takes place after midnight" Becky recalls hearing in a distant visit to the NY Olsons. I like the idea this aphorism suggests. Stop when its time to stop. I wonder: Why midnight? Midnight the witching hour. Some powerful corrupting force seeps into the night, blurring logic, fogging inhabitions. When I worked late, slept late, and stayed up late did my personal midnight shift? 10:30 pm feels now what midnight felt like when Becky heard it. As I approach my witching hour, will my post corrupt? Will it happen now, or an about an hour? How could I even tell?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this, why midnight? It is a good question echos all the other curfew restrictions - "the spirit goes to bed at midnight" and what does it mean for parents of small children. Life starts at 8:30 and peters out at 10pm? Or is it related to hours after the sun goes down - like noon shifts with the sun - as Donna says 'Noon is now at 1pm.'
How many hrs after the sun goes to bed should I go to bed?

Donna Marie said...

Becky:

Yes, life starts at 8:30 pm and ends at 10 pm and after that no useful conversations take place. Don't you really suspect that?

In case you wondered, the scars of the time change remain on the day: (according to timeanddate.com)
Salt Lake's noon today was at 1:33, Pittsburgh nooned at 1:25 pm
Phoenix 12:34 (no time change)
Tucson 12:29 (also no time change)
Fukuoka 12:24.
Mom wins.

Post a Comment